– Full Name: Elisa Gambino
– Current Placement(s) in the JLLB? In-League Training
– What year did you join the JLLB? How many years is that? 2019 Spring class, I at the end of my 2nd active year
– Where did you go to school and what degrees do you hold? I went to UC Berkeley where I received a bachelor’s degree with a major in Psychology and a minor in Anthropology. I then later went to the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant in San Francisco where I received my Master’s and Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.
– What do you do outside the League as a job? Tell us all your jobs both professional and other places you volunteer. I am a licensed clinical psychologist that has worked in a variety of non-profit community settings providing treatment, consultation, and supervision to clinicians supporting clients with moderate to severe mental illness. I specialize in treating women, youth, and families with traumatic experiences/histories as well as providing program development and consultation to programs, agencies, front line clinicians and paraprofessionals in examining the usefulness and application of trauma informed care. Currently I am only volunteering with JLLB, but in the past when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area I volunteered for many years at Bay Area Women Against Rape. I did many tasks with this organization as a Certified Rape Crisis Counselor supporting survivors of sexual assault and also supporting youth and their families through the Sexually Exploited Minors program.
– Which city did you grow up in and how’d you end up in Long Beach? I grew up in Riverside, CA. I ended up in Long Beach after having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 14 years. I wanted to come back to Southern California to be closer to family and where there were more job opportunities. I specifically chose Long Beach because I knew I wanted to live by the beach and after exploring different areas in Orange County and LA County, it just felt right.
– Why did you join the JLLB? Ashleigh Ruhl suggested that I check it out to meet people in Long Beach since I was new to it. I went to a mixer and learned about the mission and focus area as well as the league’s involvement with human trafficking and youth in Long Beach and decided to give it a try.
– What do you enjoy about membership in the JLLB? I enjoy the different opportunities I get to meet other women (some who have become great friends) while being social, having fun, and growing my skillset.
– What are your hobbies / what do you like to do for fun? I enjoy cooking and baking and I have started sewing again. I also like to read (I am always open to recommendations for thrillers, murder mysteries, or some good horror novels with plot twists) and sit in the sun with a glass of wine. Pre-pandemic, going to concerts to see live music was at the top of my list and having dinner/drinks (without masks and next to each other) with friends and loved ones. I am hoping to do all of that and more safely again soon!
– Unique fun fact about you? I started sewing in high school and I made both of my prom dresses. One was made completely out of duct tape as was the suit that my date wore. We entered a contest and didn’t win- but we had fun and for being covered in duct tape we didn’t look too shabby 😊.